Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I need a new board game

So for the past couple years, I've been stuck in a real board game rut. I think I burnt out part of my frontal cortex in overly competitive Boggle. Risk, the game of world domination, is fun, if you have eight hours to burn. Trivial Pursuit is super boring. I've had loads of good times introducing people to Wise and Otherwise, but I fear that it's now cashed. That's too bad, because that was a game where everyone could win.

People used to tell me about Cranium, but I get the sense that it's had its day. We're trying to figure out what games to play when we try to inaugurate our Game Night West. I'm worried that I might fall back on Pictionary. Does anyone know of a good, reliably fun board game that won't bring out too many hypercompetitive tendencies?

6 comments:

mhelbing said...

Over the summer I played a lot of Go. It's a two-person game and it's not at all good for parties. Glad I could (not) answer your question.

Anonymous said...

Didn't we, or rather more specifically a certain NR introduce you to Wise or Otherwise? ;-)

MK

Octopus Grigori said...

mh: go, huh? Sounds wild.

Octopus Grigori said...

MK: Oh, MK, nothing is original. Plus, I meant I had introduced it to the West Coast.

Anonymous said...

cribbage.

because I am fast becoming my grandparents.

SK from Boston said...

there's a great game called Time's Up that my cousins got me hooked to. it's kind of a charades meets taboo meets famous historical figures. just be warned, it can become a very loud game with people shouting and gesticulating madly.