Monday, May 15, 2006

What Should Have Been

The OG has been, for a few months now, touting Al Gore for 2008. Tonight, I saw the clip of Gore's appearance from SNL this past weekend. Like many others, I found the piece funny and deeply saddening.

As observed back in December, the new Gore seemed "reenergized, rejuvenated, and, probably most importantly, comfortable with himself" in the SNL skit. Watching Gore, this competent, intelligent, and patriotic statesman on TV, sitting there in that Oval Office set, I thought back on the misery and horror of the past five years; as I looked at this decent American, who should have been our president, now older, grayer, I actually started tearing up. I can't help but think that the world would be an infinitely better place if Gore had been allowed to assume the position that a majority of American voters elected him to.

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you check out the skit (here for QT, here for WMP).

AL GORE IN 2008!

3 comments:

hh said...

i know!...was laughing and crying.

korova said...

It was bad enough that Bush won the first time around....I remember the despair I felt over here when he got voted in again. Sometimes I despair of some of your fellow countrymen. Let's hope the voters get it right in 2008.

Anonymous said...

BTW, go see "An Inconvenient Truth". It's excellent.

MK