Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Copa (Tercero) Mundial



I'm still here. My mind has been taken over with soccer and the imminent move to Eagle Rock. I've been working too much as well.

I wonder if anything else is happening in the world other than the World Cup. I know other things are happening, but I can't imagine what they might be.

My little brother is in Bangladesh right now. He wrote me a fantastic email about his travels and the World Cup mania that has swept through the country:
I took the bus from Dhaka to Chittagong and it's hard to believe that this is the most overpopulated country in the world. Most of this country is fields and villages. The monsoons flood all the farmland, leaving perfect conditions for growing rice. Many villagers' homes get flooded; they move to the city during the monsoon season, and then move back to their village for the farming. People are actually really into the World Cup here: there are Brazilian, Argentine, and English flags everywhere. Even when we were traveling by the villages I saw flags posted on TV towers and trees. Also, in the small shops in the villages everyone huddles around a small TV and watches the games. In Chittagong there are huge TV's at big intersections, like in Times Square, where everyone gathers and watches the games outside. I went with [Octopus Cousin] to watch the game and all the rickshaw drivers, beggars, store owners, and baby taxi drivers were all in the streets watching the game. They are really into it here. In one city the power went out during the Argentina game where they scored 6 goals and the people rioted and destroyed the powerplant.
(slightly edited.) I've told my little brother to clear out if the power goes out again and to try not to destroy any power plants. I'm hoping my brother will forgive me for flagrantly violating his intellectual property rights. It's fair use: news reporting for the people.

No comments: