Saturday, July 15, 2006

Eagle Rock


continuing the Where in the World is Octopus Grigori series . . . .

It's about 106° F here in Eagle Rock right now, at 5:15 p.m. My brain has stopped functioning properly in the heat. The funny thing is that my soccer team has a game scheduled for tomorrow at 1:45 in the afternoon. I think some players may actually die.

We've fled the house for the afternoon and come to some coffee shop on Eagle Rock Boulevard called Swörk. (The umlaut should actually be over the w, but I can't do that on a Mac.) Our house doesn't have central air -- I've never lived in a house that has. We didn't think it would be a big deal. The previous owner had lived there for thirty years and survived, so we thought that surely we would too.

Ha! We simply forgot to factor in THE FIERY END OF THE WORLD, which we are currently enduring. Anyway, this Swork place is okay. It's a little annoying: it's got this very mid-90's Bay Area/Seattle dot com boom feel to it (lots of solid red design elements, internet terminals, natural wood color Scandinavian-type furniture, etc.) I'm going to stop complaining, because it's not Starbucks (there are only two Sworks, apparently), and they have a "Sworkuccino" called the "Eagle Roca", which is ridiculous, but tastes really fucking good.

In any event, it's certainly no Fall Cafe, but it'll do for now. I am liking Eagle Rock more and more all the time. It certainly has a lot going for it: a Trader Joe's, a decent vegan restaurant, a pizza place, a decent comic book store, and a pretty nice bar all within walking distance, a pretty big park nearby, super easy access to Pasadena and Glendale, reasonable access to downtown, and that whole weird small-town, time-warp feel about this place (even though we are technically still in Los Angeles). It's got these 50's-looking hamburger stands, ancient florists, and old auto repair places that make it feel a little Archie and Betty in Riverdale. But then you have the bizarre (and seemingly unsustainable?) boutiques selling Japanese comics, special outfits for yuppie babies, candles, overpriced vintagey looking crap and clothes, etc. My main gripe is that there are no movie theaters or bookstores (as far as I can tell) in Eagle Rock, which seems really weird. Instead, we have about 15 lube/oil change places. Also, there's no good Chinese or Mexican food in Eagle Rock that I've found so far. (If anyone knows of any, please instruct me.) We have one crappy, overpriced, lifeless Vietnamese place, but there's another one opening up soon. I wish there were a cafe here unlike Swork or the horrendous Coffee Table, something a little dingier and less expensive.

Oh, whinge and whine. It's so hard to keep a finicky deluded yuppie happy. He has so many stupid little needs.

3 comments:

amie32 said...

Hey thanks for your blog. My husband and I just bought an old house in Eagle Rock too and we are dealing with all the same stuff. My husband is on the roof as I type this trying to get rid of sparrow nests! I think Eagle Rock will get more stuff as more of us move in--but I have to say with today's heat I am missing the westside.

amie32 said...

Hey thanks for your blog. My husband and I just bought an old house in Eagle Rock too and are dealing with all the same stuff. My husband is on the roof as I type this trying to get rid of sparrow nests! I think Eagle Rock will get more variety in restaurants and stores as more people transplant here but I have to say with today's heat I was really missing the westside.

Octopus Grigori said...

Sometimes it's creepily quiet out here and I feel like I'm back in the woods of Connecticut -- even though the neighborhood is ringed by the 134.