Saturday, July 08, 2006

Victory will be ours

The house is winning. I'm still coughing from something evil and noxious the house discharged or exhaled. But I'm making a comeback. I bought an air purifier and I think it's working. At the very least, it's making me think it's working, which makes me cough less.

Slowly I will show the house who is master. The challenge is that the house has so many tricks. It has hidden plumbing, dummy sockets, spiders, splinters, dead pilot lights, stuck windows, a dog-smelling garage, lack of cabinet space, loose locks, but, happily, no ghosts. So far.

Every day we fight the house with our teams of mercenary contractors, cleaners, plumbers, servicepeople, retrofitters, shinglers, painters, cable guys, gardeners, and Sears delivery men. But we know our goal and always keep it in sight. One day we will sit down in the dining room with the house, a band will play an ironic tune, and the house will sign official papers of surrender.

Much treasure and blood will be lost before that day but I am sure -- pretty sure -- that it will all have been worth it.


West Pakistan surrendering to East Pakistan (Bangladesh) in 1971

1 comment:

Robot Dean Martin said...

Octopus,

What's going on? Just thought I would stop in to check up on your blog. Good luck with the battle of the house. I'm sure you will remain victorious once the dust settles. Check out my blog if you get a chance. I moved it to www.drunkblogger.com and sold out the old page haha.