Friday, October 06, 2006

Octopus Summoned to Bay Area

As you can tell from my recent lack of posts and constant car-driving, I'm deep inside a very bad time at work. The madness has sucked me up to San Francisco, where I've been for the past two days, and where I'm now sitting in a yellow cab on my way to SFO after a couple of nights of working till 2 and 3.

It's cold in San Francisco, and gray, and I absolutely love it. I love cold, misty weather like this. L.A.'s idiotically uniform sunshine and blue skies, like the background in some Hanna-Barbera cartoon, drive me totally nuts. The unrelenting perfect days are oppressive, insipid, soul-sapping.

I was so tired last night that I fell asleep in my colleague's chair as we were discussing some legal document in his office. I actually dropped the paper from my hands as I fell asleep in mid-sentence. I woke up a few seconds later. It was awkward. It was about 2:25 in the morning.

I don't know when this insanity will let up. Those days of leisure, riding the bus to work at 7, riding home at 8, seem irretrievable. I just want to enjoy things: riding the bus, writing blog posts for you, playing soccer, hanging out with Mrs. Octopus in Eagle Rock. This whole rat race thing is bull shit.

I am going to sleep all the way to Burbank.

5 comments:

Jose said...

Isn't the Burbank airport great?

Toddy said...

It has been very hectic for me too.
And all I want to do is enjoy my boy, my wife and playing soccer.
Interesting.
You are like my smarter, more manually endowed West Coast doppelganger.

Geoff Manaugh said...

Don't jump off any bridges.

When you're back on your (eight) feet in LA, drop me a line - I don't have your email address.

Octopus Grigori said...

Jose: I love the Burbank airport. It's so humane in scale. And it's just like that old Fisher Price airport. I used to love that shit. You turned a handle to make the helicopter rotors and the luggage carousel turn.

Toddy: Hang in there. Retirement is only like thirty-five years away.

Octopus Grigori said...

Geoff: Will do. Hope you are enjoying L.A. so far. Isn't the weather something?