Tuesday, November 14, 2006

At the Bus Stop

It's seven p.m. and the bus stop for the 81 downtown is pretty bumping. Some old pals are chatting in Spanish on the bench next to me about "la buena gente." All sorts of buses other than the 81 keep stopping here. I just got a faceful of exhaust from the 94 as it left, on its way to San Fernando.

L.A. is generally a lame place in which to try to get into any type of holiday spirit. The sunshine and the palm trees are just not conducive to it. It appears that they've tried to light the top of the Library Tower in special holiday colors, but they have chosen, for some reason, red and blue instead of red and green. Perhaps they just recycled the July 4th lighting? Or the guy in charge was slightly colorblind? Or spoke a language that did not have separate words for green and blue?

Someone just asked me what time it was.

It feels very good to be back on the bus, walking to the stop in the morning, down the Angels Flight steps at night. It would be perfect if the bus would just show up on time. (Still waiting.)

It's okay. I think riding the bus is a good way to learn a little patience. You can't step on the gas, weave through traffic, or lean on the horn -- you have to wait with everyone else, and listen to the nice discussions about the good people.

Ha. That would've been too fey an ending, so the post continues. I would like to share with you that I've been spending an inordinate amount of my time thinking of new directions for this blog or for spin-offs to this blog. My first big idea was that I would start a regular puppet segment. I'd make the puppets, probably from socks or those brown lunch bags, and do short segments on topics such as Islamic history, political analysis, and movie reviews.

(Sorry - I just tried to negotiate with the driver of the 84, which just stopped here at the bus stop and which runs a route tantalizingly similar to the 81's, to take me to my stop in Eagle Rock, but it was too far off her route.)

I was very excited about this puppetry idea, but I need to get a video camera first. Look for this to pop up during the holidays.

The other idea I was toying with was starting a spin-off legal blog, which would focus mostly on trademark and copyright law issues and developments, with other miscellaneous legal coverage. I figure that such a blog may actually be useful in my professional life some day. It will probably be supremely dull for 98% of you, but the remaining 2% are going to love it. If you have any requests or suggestions for areas of law the Octopus legal spin-off blog should cover, please let me know.

The 81 is finally here, and it is packed.

3 comments:

K. Widge(r) said...

I like the sound of both of those. I was enjoying the audio blogs too.

Justin said...

Apropos of nothing (which means I'm too lazy to just email you), a friend very much in the know about such things recently posted his favorite LA Korean food spots on his blog. Thought it might be of some benefit to you two:

"And since I'm on the topic of Korean food I might as well throw in some of our favorite LA Korean Restaurants, each of which I miss:

Tahoe Galbi - Real open fire, meat in the flames, BBQ. So good.
3986 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, (213) 365-9000

Korean Kitchen - I dream about this place. Everything even the vinegar they used in salad dressing was special. Best panchan in LA for my money.
135 Japanese Village Plaza Mall, Los Angeles, CA 90012
213 680-1039

Soot Bull Jeep - the quintessential smokey Korean BBQ place.
3136 W 8th St, Los Angeles, CA 90005
213 387-3865

There was also super family run restaurant in Glendale way down Glendale Avenue near Eagle Rock, but I can't find it on google.

And btw if you ever find yourself in LA and need eating suggestions, it's almost required that you read Jonathan Gold's Where to Eat in the Real LA. Through the book and his LAWeekly columns Mr. Gold has single handedly been responsible for more of my memorable meals than anyone except for my wife, my mom and my grandmother."

Octopus Grigori said...

Widge: Sadly, the Blogger audio blog feature is defunct.

Justin: Thanks, dude! Always looking for good food. And I love Jonathan Gold's book!