Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

Blogging from the Buena Vista branch of the Burbank Public Library. It's very nice in here. It's an interesting crowd, the people that hang out in public libraries on weekdays while most people work. A lot of housewives with kids in tow, retired-looking folk reading military novels, students, some people that look like they might be working on screenplays for television pilots, and various assorted weirdos.

I'm trying to do some work here in the library, before picking Mrs. Octopus up from her office her in Burbank and driving over to the delightful Burbank airport for a flight to Dallas. I've never been to Dallas before -- my dad's side of the family's having a sort of mini-reunion at an uncle's house there. (Let me know if you have any suggestions on things to do in the Big D. From what I understand, a popular activity is eating a lot of meat.)

I really love traveling on Thanksgiving. I know it's almost always a pain, and it sucks very hard if you get bumped off your flight or placed on standby, but I really enjoy being among the throngs of people rushing home or back to their families, across the country. Perhaps it's the feeling of shared purpose and the shared holiday: everyone knows what everyone else is doing and why everyone else is struggling through baggage check lines and security checkpoints -- we're all trying to get back to the people we love for our one true American holiday.

I think that might have been the cover squib for the VHS tape of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, which, I will admit, I loved.

The Octopus wishes you a wonderful Thanksgiving with your loved ones.

1 comment:

ivanomartin said...

my one recommendation for things to do in Dallas--

leave as soon as possible.

dn