Monday, February 05, 2007

Eagle Rock Dining: The Bucket

Liveblogging from The Bucket in Eagle Rock. I heard Huey Lewis's "I Need A New Drug" blasting inside the dining room as I walked up to the front door. I opened the door with some hesitance, not sure what was waiting inside. I walked into the absolutely tiny dining room featuring a small L-shaped counter with stools, where the music was blaring while the kids in camo pants and Honda trucker hats eating burgers and fries and drinking beer laughed raucously at the goofy counter guy's dancing and antics. I let the door close behind me and stood in the small space between the counter and the door in my pressed gray slacks, no-iron dress shirt, and brown Rockport slip-ons and felt very, very old and out of place. There really should have been a needle screeching across vinyl as the music crashed to a close against my glaring yuppietude. But the song continued, the counter guy stopped dancing and looked for a menu, and some of the kids went out to the patio for a smoke, where they proceeded to talk back to the Channel 9 KCal News playing on the TV outside.

My mushroom veggie burger and wedge fries are ready.

4 comments:

creative-type dad said...

If Huey is playing on the radio..I'll never feel out of place.

Octopus Grigori said...

"I Need A New Drug" is a very good song.

Anonymous said...

Is The Bucket still open? And/or wasn't it closed for a long time?

I can remember way back in the day, going there with my dad and ordering a burger. It came with cabbage: a cabbage burger. I tried to pick the cabbage off and the proprietor whipped out a plastic Neanderthal-like billy club and whacked me with it, telling me to eat my effing cabbage, you little punk.

It was very far from hip then. It was a place where a vaguely foreign man could wield a Cro-Magnon club in such a way as to force little boys to eat boiled vegetables on their hamburgers.

Octopus Grigori said...

Anon: The Bucket is indeed still open, or at least doing a passable imitation of being open, since they did take my money and hand me a burger. I had heard that they changed ownership for a little while.

I don't know that it's hip now; it seems to have survived and taken on a patina of authenticity.