Friday, February 16, 2007

The Persistence of Objects



I drove home through Beverly Hills from my Vietnamese class last night, listening to "Criminology" off of Raekwon's 1995 classic "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...". The song has a weird, unnerving, hypnotic production by the RZA, with a sustained metallic ringing that repeats on a loop. I had a period back during my senior year in college in the Berkshires where I listened to the song over and over again as I drove through the hills.

As I drove past the Lotus dealerships and the Larry Flynt building, I thought of how strange it was to be listening to this song again, twelve years later, in such a different place, driving through Beverly Hills after a Vietnamese class (where I had learned to say new things, or just the same old things with different words?), with that same looped ringing, unending in the background.

The French say that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

1 comment:

Toddy said...

Funny. A basic tenent of Buddhism is the impermanence of all things. This is something that stays the same.