Saturday, February 03, 2007

Saturday


sunset in Eagle Rock

A dog down the street howling miserably at the afternoon sun. (He's still howling as I type this under our bright February moon.) I was sitting on the patio next to an old stereo playing a tape of “Shine On, You Crazy Diamond”; the sprinklers in the backyard water the dead grass and rose bushes out of time with the song. Long, thin-stemmed orchids with dandelion bursts of pink purple petals bend in long arcs out of their pots under the patio roof toward the sunlight.


bathroom window and mirror

I should take a picture, I think. Maybe I’ll write a post about sitting here on the patio listening to Pink Floyd and staring at these skinny orchids stretching toward the sun. But I know that the wordless experience in my mind of the dog howling, the sprinklers running, the tragic mid-Saturday afternoon breeze, and the sunlight retreating from the flowers just won’t come out right once I sit down and try to tap it into legibility.


day's end from our study

5 comments:

Toddy said...

This post makes me miss California.

Kris said...

I was just going to say that.

Octopus Grigori said...

It makes me miss California too.

Octopus Grigori said...

I was thinking: is it weird that the view from my backyard often looks sorta like Capri-Sun packaging? I wonder about this because I'm from Connecticut.

soapy t said...

i want to be there.