Thursday, April 26, 2007

Acclimation


I've started a small cactus garden by the side of the house. Most of the cacti I've planted so far are ridiculously small. They're on the south side of the house, so they get direct sunlight all day. I'll post some pictures soon.

Mrs. Octopus and I got some of the plants at the California Cactus Center in Pasadena, which was incredible. They had beautiful cactus arrangements, cactus bonsai, living rocks, all sorts of flowering cacti, alien-looking succulents. I came across one bonsai tree which looked mostly dead: it was about two feet tall, with long, bare, spindly branches, like a miniature tree in winter. Its trunk was knotted and gnarled. Wrapping around its trunk, and on the ends of some of the long, thin branches were these tiny, waxy red leaves. I asked one of the sales staff what it was. They told me the name, but I can't remember it now. They also told me it was thirty years old and cost $350.

Anyway, I'll be heading back there soon. I hope to get some larger cacti, and perhaps some desert trees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that cacti and aloes, etc. are referred to as "succulents." I love the word "succulent." It just sounds yummy and decadent. Mmmmm.

-LC