Monday, April 02, 2007

Life May Be Too Short for Star Trek


Why am I watching Enterprise on the Sci Fi Channel? This show is so wack. I'm watching the one where Captain Archer gets kidnapped by some bounty hunter trying to take him back to the Klingons. Meanwhile, on the Enterprise, T'Pol is going through the Pon Farr, which gave the show's writers an excuse to have Jolene Blalock run around writhing in her space underwear for an entire episode. (They had Hoshi do this in an another episode.) The episode ends with some timely use of "the Grappler", a grappling hook tied to a cable on the bottom of the Enterprise.

Jeez, I really geeked out there.

Like my own personal Pon Farr, I've been feeling myself fall back into a deep science fiction phase. It may have started when we saw the excellent Children of Men. Soon after that I picked up Kim Stanley Robinson's Green Mars again. I had started it a few years back after racing through the fantastic Red Mars. I've also picked up Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep, which looks uber-dorky, but probably worth reading. I'm thinking about trying to make my way through the recent Hugo Award winners over the next couple months.

Anyway, live long and prosper.

3 comments:

toddy said...

I used to follow Star Trek, but it now far too extended for me.

In other news, I am reading my very first Philip Marlowe novel. It is super fun.

Kris said...

I loved Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. Also, Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood (I believe this may have been a Sackett recommendation) was excellent.

creative-type dad said...

space underwear? - that's funny.

Somehow I picture them having little green men and spaceships on them.