Monday, October 29, 2007

Vietnamese Classes: Many Miles Later

I returned to Vietnamese classes a couple months ago. I can't remember when I stopped with the updates. They brought in a new teacher at the language school I go to; our new teacher also teaches at UCLA. She's really good.

It's amazing how long it takes to learn things in a Vietnamese class: after months and months of Vietnamese classes, we're on page 15 or so of our book. We will never finish our book.

But that's okay. We have spent most of our time learning how to pronounce things in Vietnamese. It's slowly starting to settle in, and the tones are beginning to feel somewhat natural. With all the emphasis on tones and pronunciation of vowels and certain consonant combinations, it's weird how little vocabulary we have learned. For example, I still don't know how to say "big" or "small". I know just a handful of verbs, and a very bare bones set of adjectives.

I'm going to stick with it for as long as I can. I am enjoying it a bit more, especially since every now and then I can amuse my in-laws when I say things like "The weather tonight is quite beautiful. Yesterday was hot and was difficult to enjoy." My most often used Vietnamese phrases are "tôi không biết" (I don't know) and "ngon" (tasty).

No comments: