Thursday, December 06, 2007

Jury Duty


Abandon all hope, all ye who enter here . . . .

I kept on putting it off, but now it's here: jury duty. I'm cooling my heels in the general jury assembly room with the other poor souls that have been tagged from the DMV and voter registration rolls.


Welcome to the Central Jury Assembly Room. Get comfortable. You're not going anywhere for eight hours.

The courthouse is a very depressing place. As I walked down what had to be the world's longest corridor on the way to the jury assembly room, I passed various plastic signs (including the one above) posted on the outside of closed courtroom doors sternly warning of various proscriptions and prohibitions in a government-issue sans-serif font (looks like Helvetica). Whoever wrote out the request for the sign above clearly had gone over the deep end.



I'm here all day. I brought a lot to read. I forgot to bring my hat, sunglasses, and Bubble Yum.

5 comments:

Kris said...

That looks awful.

MK said...

What the heck is wrong with reading?

kris said...

awesome new font on the OG!

Octopus Grigori said...

Thanks! I thought about using something more modern, like Bauhaus93, but then I found that I really liked the way the title looked in Old English. I'm fickle, so I'll probably change it up all the time.

hh said...

god, that room is so depressing and the seats were so close together. i sat at the back, facing the bathrooms, that was a bad choice.

next time i have to go, i should have a similarly styled placard made and secretly doubletape it somewhere...
"no smiling" or "no nothing nowhere not ever"