Monday, February 18, 2008

What's Happening to Me?

For the past few weeks, I've been really into Chicago. How into them? Windows down blaring "Feeling Stronger" out onto Colorado Boulevard in Eagle Rock on a Sunday night. Belting out "Saturday in the Park" to myself on the 10. Trying to figure out when and how I could get my friends to go sing karaoke with me so I could bust out with "If You Leave Me Now".

As with my recent Pink Floyd/Billy Joel outbursts, I don't know whether to be concerned. Am I going crazy or is Chicago one of the greatest bands ever? Is there anything better than that horn line in "Just You and Me"? It must be my goofy transition into full-blown middle age. I have always loved Steely Dan -- I'm sure that love will just grow stronger now. It may be my latent Connecticut middle-class roots beginning to fully effloresce. A pair of Stan Smiths, a brushing up of my tennis game, a Saab 900 convertible, a new set of clubs, a pair of red pants, a trip to the Vineyard, a kid at Hotchkiss, and an August tour of Italy organized through my alma mater cannot be far behind.



This is just going to goad my family into saying I'm too white again. I should never have brought up Pierre Bourdieu....

3 comments:

David said...

word. peter cetera on the bass guitar.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UTFD1C4tVIg

Anonymous said...

http://www.steelydan.com/heywes.html

Octopus Grigori said...

Wow to both. Thanks!