Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Yellow Card

On Sunday, during a soccer game, I got a yellow card for calling the other team "a bunch of dickheads." I was actually very surprised when the ref came over and gave me a card. I thought I couldn't get a card for something I could say on TV. (I think you can say dickhead on TV, but I'm not sure.)

I think it mostly happened because the other team -- who were, in fact, a bunch of fucking pricks -- made a big stink when I called them all dickheads. This one guy in particular, with shoulder length blonde hair and a headband, made a big show of being injured by my impolite language, saying something like, "Now, how do you think that makes us feel?"

The game ended in a tie.

2 comments:

David said...

I suppose you were guilty of unsporting behavior.

From FIFA's Laws of the Game:

Cautionable Offences
A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of
the following seven offences:
1. is guilty of unsporting behaviour
2. shows dissent by word or action
3. persistently infringes the Laws of the Game
4. delays the restart of play
5. fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a
corner kick, free kick or throw-in
6. enters or re-enters the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission
7. deliberately leaves the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission
A substitute or substituted player is cautioned and shown the yellow
card if he commits any of the following three offences:
1. is guilty of unsporting behaviour
2. shows dissent by word or action
3. delays the restart of play

toddy said...

I am editing all the promos for Euro 2008 and there are many instances of Italians getting yellow cards for doing just what you did. Except in Italian.
Did you say it in Italian?
Maybe thats what did it.