Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2009 Reading List (Initial Draft)



Every year I go through various Most Important Books of All Time lists and the dozens of unread or half-read books on my shelves to put together an annual reading list. After putting the list together, I start reading the first book on the list in January and then proceed to ignore the list for the rest of the year.

I'm hoping to avoid this pattern in 2009 and actually complete my reading list. So I've shortened my list a bit this year. It's 36 books. The idea is that I'll read three books a month off this list, and whatever else I come across throughout the year.

The list is still a work in progress, and I will probably make changes during the year. The main idea is to read 36 books that I haven't read (or finished) yet. Feel free to offer suggestions on books I should add to (or take off of) the list. (I do recognize that this list is a little heavy on Books One Should Read, a little phallocentric, and otherwise generally played out.)

I will try to post brief updates on my progress, and short reviews, as I make my way through the list.

Women in Love - Lawrence
The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money – Keynes
The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - Joyce
Blue Mars – Robinson
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - Brown
The Wings of the Dove – James
Absalom, Absalom! – Faulkner
The Varieties of Religious Experience - James
Critique of Pure Reason - Kant
Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire – Gibbon
Herzog – Bellow
Swann's Way – Proust
Watership Down - Adams
The Making of the English Working Class – Thompson
The Making of the Atomic Bomb – Rhodes
Finnegans Wake – Joyce
The Order of Things – Foucault
The Savage Mind - Levi-Strauss
Wuthering Heights - Bronte
Phenomenology of Spirit - Hegel
A Bend in the River – Naipaul
Frankenstein - Shelley
The Autobiography of Malcolm X – Haley and X
A Room of One's Own - Woolf
Cadillac Desert – Reisner
Atlas Shrugged - Rand
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - Baum
Nostromo – Conrad
Their Eyes Were Watching God – Hurston
Blood Meridian - McCarthy
Late Capitalism - Mandel
The Day of the Locust –West
Dune – Herbert
Native Son - Wright
2666 - BolaƱo
Tender is the Night - Fitzgerald

[I'll note that I am tempted to copy Mrs. Octopus's 2009 plan to watch 52 Important Movies that she hasn't yet seen yet. I'll think about that. I don't know if our Netflix cue could handle the demands of two 52-movie lists.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Herzog is pretty amazing.