Thursday, March 12, 2009

Why I Almost Never Blog Anymore

I recently signed up for Twitter. I'm still not sure what the purpose of Twitter is. I know that it basically feels like Facebook stripped of everything but status updates. I also know that after a few days reading Twitter updates, one begins to see blog posts as long-form exercises. I'm getting worn out writing more than a few sentences in a row in this blog post: I've grown too accustomed to the confined form of the status update or the Twitter post.

Status updates and Twitter posts are often funny because they are short. Short sentences are often funny. (I would say "brevity is the soul of wit," but I'm always a little skeptical about quoting Polonius, because I am not sure if I am being stupid by doing so.) Given the format, people's Facebook status updates and Twitter posts tend to be an endless string of one-line jokes; Twitter posters like Tina Fey and Steven Colbert can have a field day. Fey's most recent Twitter: "Let's put our cards on the table: I dutch oven you -hilarious. You dutch oven me -I barf in the bed." Colbert's most recent Twitter: "Let's do some role-playing right now." This is fun, but I wonder what the point is. Well, what is the point of anything? That last sentence would be a pretty standard status update or Twitter post.

And it gets in the way of my blogging! But maybe that's a good thing, because bloggers like me tend to be long-winded, grammatically-challenged whiners who write endless posts about things you don't care about.

4 comments:

Kris said...

From a reader's point of view, I vastly prefer blogs to Twitter or Facebook. I don't get much out of reading Tweets or status updates. In fact, I don't really read them. I really think that one of the best things to come from blogging is the commenting and the ensuing dialogue (if you want to call it that). So, Twitter just seems like a less interesting form of blogging.

Kris said...

Are you supposed to capitalize tweet?

Amin said...

One of the things I look forward to on Twitter is seeing my friends' Tweet links to longer form blog entries, articles, etc, whether it be their own or something they find interesting. Keep blogging, and make sure to Tweet about it when you write a blog post!

But I love you said...

I so totally disagree about Twitter. Every time I see people Tweeting I just want to stab my eyes out. Who cares about your day. It would be cool if you only tweeted about earthquakes or robberies in progress but anything else is just lame. Think about it. It's not cool or a trend if Barbara Walters thinks it is.