Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"The earth laughs in flowers."

April coming to an end. We have vegetable beds now -- four of them, sitting in the backyard. They're made of cedar or something like that. They're now filled with 81 cubic feet of compost and soil. We've planted beans, tomatoes, zucchini, scallions, lettuce, melons, pak choi, sugar snap peas, and other stuff. There's a black tarp laid out under the beds, and various bamboo structures placed on top of the beds for the climbing plants to attach themselves to: the whole set up looks like a large science project.

My role in our gardening project has mostly involved moving a lot of dirt and digging holes for trees. I enjoy that kind of work outside: it feels like good exercise and I find it relaxing to dig into the ground and move dirt around.

I have complete control over one patch of territory -- a strip near the driveway where I've planted several kinds of sunflowers. I'm especially excited about the giant sunflowers I've planted there, which are supposed to grow to twelve or fourteen feet. I've got seven or eight sunflowers growing there now; many of the seeds I planted were unearthed and eaten by birds or squirrels. I was initially impatient with the sunflowers, but I've learned to accept that I just have to wait for the little fuckers to do their thing -- at their own rate. Nature.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dashes, semicolons, colons! Punctuation is back! Thank you!

I find your use of "pak choi" interesting. Much more Korean than "bok choy".

-LC